Power Plate: HighTech Healthcare
The vibration technology behind Power Plate® machines has proven benefits to many clinical applications for the following indications:
- Increased bone mineral density
- Decreased pain
- Improved blood circulation
- Increased muscle tone and strength
- Positive stimulation of neurological system
- Increased flexibility and mobility
- Enhanced balance and coordination
- Improved well-being
- Recovery and regeneration of damaged tissueIncrease of growth hormones
- Stress reduction by means of improved hormone levels
Due to these significant health benefits, Power Plate® therapy has gained acceptance from major medical, rehabilitation, and therapeutic centers around the world. The biomechanical aspects of vibration are widely used in the medical field for the treatment of certain injuries and the positive outcomes of illnesses. Under physician supervision, the vibration technology behind Power Plate® machines allows patients with debilitating conditions such as osteoporosis, arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease to improve their autonomy and daily living without exceeding their tolerance for exertion or pain during therapy. Power Plate® machines are the perfect complement to many medical specialties.
Power Plate Science
Power Plate® devices are premium vibration equipment powering a new dimension in wellness solutions for diverse ages, lifestyles, and physical abilities. Based on the concept of Advanced Vibration Technology™, Power Plate® machines create a neurological adaptation that can be summarized as a faster accessibility of the motor units and more efficient use of muscles’ contraction. These contractions lead to enhanced muscle strength and circulation, and ultimately to an improvement in quality of life.
Power Plate® equipment operates on a multidimensional level, differentiating them from other modalities, and promotes:
- Improved synchronization of the impulses
- Improved co-contraction of the synergists
- Inhibition of antagonists
- Increased recruitment of motor units
- Increased size of motor units
Additionally, the vibration technology behind Power Plate® machines enhances motor unit recruitment and synchronization, resulting in an increased force production and efficiency of movement. Power Plate® creates 25-50 vibrations per second, forcing the body’s kinetic chain to respond each and every time, requiring stabilization, coordination, strength and power. Individuals can produce up to 95% of their voluntary force potential while performing safe and possibly pain free movements.
These positive outcomes are made possible by the Power Plate® equipment’s stimulation of the body’s natural reflex arc allowing sensory motor function to be created and developed at an unconscious level. The multi-dimensional vibration creates perfect proprioceptive stimulation reciprocal to the demand of gravity on earth without excessive loads being placed on the musculoskeletal system.
For more information on the science behind the Power Plate® technology, click here to read the latest research studies.
Rehab & Chronic Pain
The vibration technology behind Power Plate® machines has demonstrated dramatic benefits to patients in rehabilitation and in management of chronic pain. Rehabilitation specialists, chiropractors, orthopaedic surgeons, physical therapists, and other healthcare professionals will find Power Plate® machines a valuable tool in patient care.
Healthcare professionals have reported improvements in the following areas from the use of Power Plate® machines and whole body vibration:
- Decreased overall and specific pain
- Quicker recovery of damaged muscles and tendons
- Faster recovery post stroke/CVA
- Improved blood circulation and lymphatic return
- Accelerated recovery of the tissues after ACL reconstruction
- Improved neural plasticity in spinal cord injury
- Improved sensory motor function in spinal cord injury
- Reduced pain in patients with Fibromyalgia
- Improved mood and activity levels in patients with Fibromyalgia
“In our patient population, we are noticing an increase in strength, balance, endurance, ability to stand and walk better and quicker by using the Power Plate®.” Dr. Terence Braden, Medical Director, HealthSouthRehabHospital, Jonesboro, AR.
The vibrations caused by Power Plate® machines provoke changes in the muscle, which stimulate sensory receptors, most likely muscle spindles, eliciting the “tonic vibration reflex.” During operation, Power Plate® equipment’s recruitment threshold of the motor units is lower compared to the threshold during voluntary contractions. More importantly, involuntary contractions occur in response to the vibration. Therefore, patients with limited mobility can benefit as much as more agile patients.
Healthcare professionals have successfully used the vibration technology behind Power Plate® devices to manage a variety of disease states, including:
- Idiopathic peripheral neuropathy
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Cerebral palsy
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Fresh Technology for Rejuvenation
Baby Boomer Wellness
The whole body vibration technology behind Power Plate® machines is appropriate for the treatment of various ailments afflicting an aging population, addressing conditions ranging from debilitating illness to cosmetic issues.
Based on Advanced Vibration Technology™ Power Plate® machines’ benefits have been reported by health care professionals in the following areas specific to the expanding geriatric population:
- Improvement of metabolic function
- Increase of muscle mass
- Cellulite reduction
- Increase in bone mineral density
- Improved muscular tone and stability
- Improved balance and injury prevention